While only a small section of the cloister used to be open to the public in days past, the archway and its atmospheric courtyard can now be visited both via the museum and from the cathedral proper.
Its 423 epitaphs and grave slabs make the cloister of Augsburg Cathedral one of the most densely adorned spaces of its kind in Germany. It was used as a burial place for the cathedral clergy between the 13th and 19th century, and noble and patrician laymen closely connected to the chapter could also find their final rest here. Many of the memorial slaps, in particular from the Gothic and Renaissance period, are sculptural masterpieces.
The cloister itself was probably contrived as early as the 9th century when the cathedral clergy started to form a quasi-monastic community. The edifice as we see it today originated, for the most part, in the time between 1479 and 1510. The St. Catherine's Chapel adjoining the western wing, however, was already built around 1300. The northern part of the same wing was converted to Baroque style between 1720 and 1722 after some sections of the vaults collapsed during construction work on the St. Mary's Chapel.