The precursor of today's St. Afra Museum was founded in 1872 during the tenure of Bishop Pankratius von Dinkel (1858-1894), who can be considered the main initiator of the collection. The latter was then kept in the former chapter assembly hall. It contained mainly Romanesque and Gothic artefacts from the cathedral proper and had yet to be brought in any kind of systematic order. Gradually, more and more items from all over the diocese were added, both on loan and by bequest.
Due to fire safety regulations, the collection had to be relocated to the newly opened Maximilian Museum in 1910. It remained there until well into the 1990s when the decision for a separate diocese museum was made. The new St. Afra Museum opened its doors on the 3rd of July 2000 within freshly renovated historic building parts and a newly constructed edifice adjoining the western and northern cloister wing. It now houses over 3000 exhibits.
Diocesan Museum St. Afra
Phone: +49 (0)821 3166-8833
Sunday/bank holidays 12.00-18.00
Closed on Mondays
Adults 4.00 € *
Reduced 3.00 € *
Family ticket 8.00 €*
Annual ticket 19.00 €
*Admission fees for special exhibitions may change
*Admission free on every 1st Sunday each month!
On request (+49 (0)821 3166-8833 or email@example.com)
Due to its historical structure the museum is only partly barrier-free. About 60% are accessible for wheelchair users.